Monday, March 24, 2008

Sweeps!!!!!!


Its officially, OFFICIAL! And therefore, time to share one crazy story....

Two weeks ago, as I was on a flight home from a brief visit to Vancouver (incidentally, the same day that I posted this list), Mark answered a call on our home phone from United Airlines. Initially, he was rather disturbed to see the name on our caller ID. Why would the airline that I was traveling on be calling our home? My poor husband's mind went to the worst possible place.

Thankfully, they asked to speak to me, which quickly reassured him that I was OK. But the nature of the call remained a mystery for most of the evening because the caller insisted that she needed to talk to me.

When I got home, Mark told me the story that I've just shared with you, and asked why I thought they might be calling.

"I don't know," I said. "Maybe I won something. Like a free plane trip for all my loyal travel. Or that Beijing sweepstakes I registered for last year." We both laughed at my speculations. Yeah, RIGHT!

Crazy thing is that when the phone rang later that night, the woman on the other link informed me that this was EXACTLY what I had won! She congratulated me as the potential Grand Prize winner for the Sights and Sound of Beijing Sweepstakes.

"What does that mean?" I asked, my mouth open in a silently scream as I jumping up and down, and danced around the room while trying to make as little noise as possible.

"Round trip tickets for two in United Business® to Beijing, five nights of deluxe accommodations at a four-star hotel, two tickets to the Beijing Opera, and transfers to and from the Beijing Airport courtesy of United Vacations," I was told.

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?! my mind screamed. Could this even be true? Let me tell you, I will NEVER doubt a sweepstakes again.

Our suspicions were lifted when we received FedEx paperwork with details the very next day. We also learned that potential winner would be turned into official winner after returning notarized affidavits of eligibility.

Which brings me to today and the congratulatory e-mail from United's elite rewards program administrator.

Can you even believe it? We WON a trip to BEIJING, CHINA!


When we'll actually go is still to be determined, but I'll be sure to keep you posted! (And no, we can't pick dates surrounding the Olympics.)

And wouldn't you know it? Mark's Dad is visiting Beijing right now with a tour group. We can't wait to here his thoughts on the best places to visit.

How's THAT for a story:)

9 comments:

Melissa said...

I still can't get over this. You guys are going to have such an amazing time!

Anita and Sandy said...

Audrey --
That is SOME amazing story! How very, very cool! Congratulations - you and Mark will have a trip of a lifetime -- and all on the airline!!!! It doesn't get much better than that!
Peace,
Chris.

simplicity said...

UMM WOW!!! I can't even imagine! If you decide you'd rather not bring Mark and would like to bring someone like myself (you know, to get to know me better) just let me know :)

All kidding aside, I hope that you both have an amazing trip! Can't wait to read about it and see the great pics! :)

Stacy Peterson said...

WOW! That is so awesome. I will never hesitate entering a contest of any sort ever again. Real people do win! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!! That is awesome--and there could never be a more deserving winner. Can't wait to see your pics! Enjoy every second!

Amie :)

Ann-Marie said...

no stinking way! that is incredible! you're going to have such a wonderful time, and i can't wait to read/see all about it right here on your blog. :)

congrats!

Anonymous said...

So I didn't dream that? Mommy

Anonymous said...

This is amazing!!! Congratulations! I'm so excited for this awesome trip that you two will be able to take together!

Anonymous said...

Naturally, congratulations are in order!!! I know that you and Mark will have a wonderful time... what I can't believe is that you happened to win the trip on Mom's birthday. Kinda makes you wonder...

BTW, I think you write beautifully. Have you considered writing longer stories? I bet you get published.