Friday, March 14, 2008

Quality Friday: Green Thumb

A bit of earth,
She wants a little bit of earth,

She'll plant some seeds.
The seeds will grow,

The flowers bloom,

Their beauty just the thing she needs.

- lyrics from "The Secret Garden"



Some day, when I grow up, I want to have a garden. A house, on a pretty street, with a yard, a swing set, and a garden.

There is something very appealing about the thought of having fresh vegetables at arm's reach. Imagine being able to simply step out your back door to pick out the perfect bell pepper, tomato and fresh herbs for your meal, and not having to wonder how they've been grown. Wouldn't that would be wonderful?

Truthfully, though, I have no idea if my thumb is green or black - I've never grown a thing in my life.

So why not try it out, I thought?

Our balcony is currently home to our stainless steel grill, two white chairs with beige seats, and a little white glass-topped table. With spring in full gear around here, this weekend Mark and I decided to swing by the gardening section at Target and to try to infuse a little bit of color into our lives.

After much deliberation, searching through the selection of flowers for the few that might survive in the shade, almost giving up because I had no idea what I was doing, and then running out of soil half-way through transplanting them, I was finally able to successfully (I hope) plant my first flowers ever! Here's what's blooming on our patio:


Think I can manage to keep them alive? I sure hope so!

***Any suggestions would be more than appreciated!***

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Rock on! I have a total black thumb and have similar visions of a someday-garden in my mind. Unfortunately for our budget, I think that garden will have to come with a live-in, full-time gardener.

Ann-Marie said...

the vibrant colors of those flowers (and the evidence of sunshine spilling over them) makes me absolutely crave warmer weather. i'm not sure how much longer i can hold out in this cold, grey world. bleh.

so sorry to have missed you this weekend. we'll get together soon, though, i hope!

and, you don't want gardening advice from me (unless you want everything to be the same dull brown). :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.