Friday, March 7, 2008

Quality Friday: Back on Track

Its always a challenge for me to get back into the groove of exercise after letting it fall to the wayside. The most difficult part for me is mustering up the motivation to start over again.

As I've said before, I have a tendency to be an all-or-nothing type of girl when it comes to exercise. As much as I've tried, I still haven't learned how to make it a consistent part of my life. I either work out like crazy, going to the gym for hours a day or I sit on the couch for months thinking about starting again. Kind of like I've done this winter.

Over the last few weeks, my business trips have taken me to lovely hotels with nice fitness centers - and I've made a point of using them every morning of my stay. They certainly got the ball rolling, but it wasn't until this past weekend that I finally felt like I was back.

On Sunday, the 70 degree sunshine coaxed me into my very first run outside since October. The weather was perfect, I discovered a new waterfront route, and as hard as the four miles [also the longest distance I've run in 5 months] were for me physically, I felt AMAZING. It wasn't until that moment that I realized how much I've missed running.

As a goal-driven person, I've found that the thing that makes the most sense in my quest for consistency is to sign up for an event. Races are concrete endpoint to work towards, which helps to motivate me. With these inklings floating about in my head, in early February at my company's National Sales Meeting, I had the wonderful opportunity to meet, listen to, and be inspired by Sarah Reinertsen - an amazing athlete and the first woman with a leg amputation to complete an Ironman.


Sarah shared the story of her first attempted to finish the Kona Ironman World Championship in 2004, and how she was disqualified when she failed to meet the qualifying time for the bike leg by 15 minutes. Her dream was incomplete that year - a story that resonated deeply with me as I reflected on my own first marathon experience.

"To Audrey - The marathon is waiting for you. Run strong!"

Even with her inspiration, until this week, I hadn't even CONSIDERED another marathon for 2008. And then all of a sudden, my run on Sunday had me thinking about doing one again soon. And thinking, and thinking.

Wouldn't you know it? Yesterday, I found myself signing up for the random drawing for the San Francisco Nike Women's Marathon. [I know, even as I type this my heart is racing. Am I really doing this again?!?!] On April 1, I'll find out whether my name was selected. AHHHHHH!

For now, though, its kind of nice not knowing. I can spend the next few weeks continuing to work on consistency and getting back on track.

2 comments:

Stacy Peterson said...

Good for you! If you are interested..we have a great cause and team we are heading up for Chicago '08. You know you want to conquer that race!! :)

Ann-Marie said...

way to go, audrey! i'm so excited for you! hopefully this next one won't be cancelled due to blistering heat. :(

i've actually begun running 5-10 minutes at a time when i get on the treadmill at the gym. melissa is sure i'll be a marathoner in no time, but i really don't see that happening.