Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Travel Brain

In a hurry to leave for the airport yesterday, I rushed out of the house without turning off the coffee pot. In fact, I hadn't even had a chance to pour myself a cup. It was 11am when I left home. Perhaps this caffeine deprivation explains this memory lapse?

Approaching the airport, I realized my mistake and frantically called the apartment manager, who asked if I would release permission for someone to enter our unit to turn it off. (Why else would I have called, exactly?) Thankfully, I had brewed just the right amount of coffee, because when Mark got home late that night, the machine was still on, but had enough liquid in it to prevent the fire I had feared. Did I mention that I had made a call earlier with this concern? Oh, right. There was a Work Order note next to it stating that the machine had not been found to be on. I guess the glowing red light on the ON switch wasn't a clear enough indication. :)

Then last night, twelve hours after my hurried departure, I finally arrived at my hotel room in Ottawa, Ontario. As I unpacked my 1-Quart Liquids and Gels Bag, I quickly realized that I had forgotten to pack toothpaste. It was 2am at this point, the hotel gift store was closed (obviously), and I didn't want to bother the front desk.

Instead, a brilliant idea came to me as my eyes landed on the miniature bottle of mouthwash sitting on the sink. Too tired to care, I took a swig and proceeded to "brush" my teeth with my new-found liquid toothpaste. And then I flossed. My dentist would be so proud, wouldn't he?

To top it all off, I also managed to pack two workout shirts and zero workout pants. Guess that's an excuse to sleep in tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, HONEY! UGH! Allow me to recommend the Cuisinart coffeepot I own and love: it automatically turns off two hours after brewing, which means you can rest easy if you run out the door without thinking to shut it off yourself. Love it!

A Wannabe Travelwriter said...

This post came up on my daily Google Alert.

You mentioned that the people who came into your place somehow did not manage to do the one thing there were there to do.

What you didn't mention was if Mark found a few extra dishes laying around, empty beer bottles in the garbage and much of the food you bought and left for him had somehow disappeared.

Hmmmmm. Hopefully they at least left a nice tip!

http://sanddollaradventures.com