Thursday, September 6, 2007

happy feet

okay, let's be honest here.

the last two weeks of training have been really tough on me.

i'm tired from all the miles i've been logging. i don't love getting up at 5am during the week to run before work, and i hate the thought of doing so on the weekends for a 2-3 hour trek. my runs lately (including at the triathlon) have found me a) feeling sluggish and exhausted, b) taking an excessive number of walk breaks, c) realizing that i haven't done much running in the heat, and heavenhelpme if its hot on october 7th and d) wondering what. is. going. on?

last weekend, i found myself wandering into a local running store to try to find the answer. i considered that perhaps my shoes needed some new insoles, to provide extra cushion, or maybe some shin supports would help ease the pain that was starting to find its way back into my legs. i had almost walked out with these two items, when mark encouraged me to let the sales person re-fit me for shoes.

through a digital analysis of my foot pressure points, and a jog on the treadmill, i found that not only had i been previously place in the wrong type of shoe (previously based on my arch rather than my running stride), but i was also in the wrong size.

i walked away that day with a new pair of shoes, and eagerly awaited my next run.

wouldn't you know that i was scheduled for an 18 miler the very next day? perhaps not the ideal place for a novice runner to try out her new shoes, but i did nonetheless. the first 12 miles were AMAZING. i felt great. in fact, my shin splints were practically gone. my pace was steady and my spirits lifted. i found myself filled with renewed excitement for the challenge ahead.

then somewhere in the last 6 miles the bubble burst. or rather, three blisters formed, and my knee started to ache.

tuesday, i had difficulty putting pressure on my right leg. the blisters didn't hurt too terribly. i decided that the shoes were again the wrong size (too small this time), and headed back for an exchange. the half size up didn't relieve pressure points, but this pair sure did!

asics gel nimbus 9

wednesday, i tried to run in new-pair-number-two, but the knee just wouldn't have it, so i kept it short and sweet (or should i say sweaty, from the rediculous amount of effort it took me to run just 3 miles?).

thursday, (after a number of ice treatments) the pain was gone, and i decided to try them again for a 9 mile run along the gorgeous centennial trail near my hotel. it was a picture perfect afternoon, ruined only by that constant ache in the knee.

the great news? pair number two fits perfectly - i have happy feet! now if only i can figure out what to do with the rest of my legs...

3 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

i'm glad you're taking care of yourself as you prepare for this enormous task. i remember how important it was to get the right shoes for the 3-day, and i only walked in them.

i hope the knee heals quickly so you can get back to your more lengthy training runs.

Melissa said...

yikes. easy goes it, girl, you do NOT want knee problems afflicting you for years down the line. maybe get yourself to a doctor and have this checked out before the big day? praying you feel no pain while you train! xoxo.

Anonymous said...

All right!! I am a half marathon runner. I always wear Asics running shoes for a better comfort and superb performance. Got a new pair of Asics running shoes from REI last month.