Thursday, June 14, 2007

are we there yet?

its amazing how desperately i want to get home as i approach the end of a trip. something about the knowledge that the comforts of home are just within reach always makes that last day difficult. it doesn't matter if i'm gone for three days or for five, i'm always restless and ready to leave as soon as that last day begins.

take today, for instance.

i could barely focus during my last hours of training, as i wondered if there was an earlier flight that i could be on, how great it was going to be to see mark and kate tonight, and about how much i'm going to enjoy my melissa-audrey day tomorrow. the only thing on my mind from the moment i woke up, was getting home.

i got to the airport at about 5pm for my 7pm flight, and happened to see on the departures monitor that there was a 5:30 flight to chicago that was boarding right then, that i just might be able to catch if i hurried. my hopes began to rise as i rushed through security in a mere 10 minutes, and had barely put my shoes back on as i ran to the gate.

i was sweating by the time i got there, and hopefully waited in line as the gate agent attended to the travelers in front of me. 5:15, and the plane was still boarding. maybe i could get home a whole hour-and-a-half early! i soon found out that the flight was scheduled through los angeles, and that the reason i hadn't seen it as an option when i originally booked was because it got in later than my flight.

so instead, i'm sitting here typing, enjoying a bbq-chicken pizza, and hoping that the next five hours will come and go quickly. hopefully the book i bought will keep me entertained or i'll be able to catch some z's.

can't wait to get home.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

you'll have to let me know how you like sparks' novels. i've heard the movies are much better. can't wait to see you for our day o'fun! :)