Friday, February 29, 2008

Quality Friday: Just a Few Miles Down the Road

I grew up in an extended-family household. My Dad's parents, my Nanay and Tatay, immigrated from the Philippines when I was 4 months old to move into our home in Chicago. Dad was the first of his family to come to the United States, and his parents were the next to follow. Over the years, many of his 10 brothers and sisters lived with us for periods of time as they settled into their new lives here in America.

In my late teens, my grandparents took a trip "back home" to the Philippines to visit sell the family house there. On their trip back to the United States, they stopped in Los Angeles to visit my Dad's brother Conrad and his family, and my Dad's sister Aurora before returning to Chicago. During that visit, my grandfather had a major medical emergency that prevented them from ever completing the trip back. Nanay and Tatay bought a home nearby, and their son (and family) and daughter moved in to help care for it and them. A few years ago my Dad's youngest sister, Alice, and her daughters were also petitioned to come, immigrated and moved into the family home.

Trips to Los Angeles were fairly common for our family, and my Dad visited whenever he got the chance, especially as his parents got older. Since both Nanay and then Tatay died a few years ago, Dad really hasn't visited much, the last time being almost 2 years ago.



As my parents were planning their trip to visit us, we talked about somehow trying to get together with the family. We discussed the possibility of driving the 6+ hours down Hwy 5, or perhaps taking the more scenic route and making a sightseeing trip out of it. In the end, their five day trip seemed far too short to make it worthwhile.

But then a few weeks ago, my Dad learned that his sister, Alice, was very sick. After almost 2 months of severe abdominal pain and unexplained bruises, she went to get a second opinion. Masses were found in her ovaries the size of small grapefruits. They are malignant and fixed - not the best combination of diagnoses.

Without hesitation, Dad, Mom and I decided to make the trip down to see her on the last 2 days of their visit.

It was a great road trip, to be honest (although 13ish hours of driving in 2 days is a bit on the high end) - I can't think of the last time that I've had the chance to spend time with my parents all by myself. Something to do with being the oldest child, I imagine:) We got to chat, catch up, and had a whole lot of fun reminiscing about old family vacations - some of which I had completely forgotten!

And as short as the trip was, it was wonderful to see my aunts and cousins. We celebrated Tita Aurora's (or Tita Bebe, as I call her) 61st birthday. I got to spend time with my cousins Josephine and Katarina for only the second time in my life. And most importantly, we all got to hug and comfort and enjoy quality moments with my Dad's baby sister.

Josephine, Tita Bebe, Katarina, Humberto, Tita Alice, Mom and Dad

Tita Alice has lost a lot of weight, and hasn't been able to eat much of anything due to the pain - and she was tiny to being with. Her surgery to remove the masses is scheduled for March 13th, which seems like such a long way from now.

Friends, please keep my aunt's health in your prayers.

This Quality Friday, I'm so thankful that we were able to be with her, to help comfort her fears, and share even a small piece of this burden that she's bearing.



Sibling Love

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Happy Quality Friday, dear! Your family, especially your aunt, is in my prayers. I'm so glad you had this time with them.