Wednesday, July 30, 2008

All Shook Up

I survived my first earthquake yesterday afternoon!

It was the strangest sensation - I was immediately aware of the slight vibration, and my first thought (seeing that I was in a laboratory) was that a centrifuge was out of balance, causing a nearby benchtop to shake. I quickly realized that it was coming from under my feet, and soon found myself swaying quite noticeably for a good minute or two. My heart was definitely racing - it was scary to not have any clue if more would follow. Thankfully, at a 5.4 on the Richter scale, the overall damage was quite minor.

I wasn't done with shake-ups for the day, though.

Late last night, I got pulled over while driving back to my hotel after visiting my aunts and cousins. I was tired, and was swerving in an out of my lane enough that it caused the officer some concern. He was kind, and sent me on my way with instruction to "Be careful" after quickly realizing that I had not been drinking. Quite literally a wake-up call, I was completely cured of my fatigue and wide awake by the time I drove off.

Still, the whole experience was unsettling and highlights a long-time battle that I continue to loose. I get sleepy when I drive - this I know. But how do I fight it and keep my eyes open and mind alert in situations when I feel like I don't have a choice but to drive? I regularly try coffee, blasting the radio, cold air from either the A/C or an open window or a combination of all three. I've tried talking on the phone (while using a headset, of course), snacking and even pinching myself, but to no avail. I know that pulling over and taking a quick nap is supposed to be a good idea, but I'm not comfortable with that, especially in unfamiliar areas or cities.

So I'm open to suggestions. How do you fight fatigue? What keeps you awake when nothing else seems to work?

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Yikes. I'm glad you're okay, but a little worried for you! Sounds like you took all the measures I normally would (music, fresh air). I'm wondering if you might benefit from night glasses? I know several people who didn't realize they needed them and once they had them, became aware of how much stress they had been under, straining their eyes while driving at night...it might be worth asking about at your next eye exam. Other than that, dearie, you might just need to set a curfew for yourself (ahem, maybe also in regard to work hours, ahem) and practice discipline in that area. Drive safely!

Orlando said...

SWEET-HEARRRRRT! I'm glad you're okay. Be careful!

Melissa said...

Hooray! Dad has a blog! And I helped him leave his first comment. ;)

Ann-Marie said...

Oh, my! I'm so glad you're okay, in both cases. I would have suggested all of the things you've already tried. Be safe, friend!